Thursday, December 10, 2009

Delayed!


I have vaguely been referencing an upcoming surgery-and its been delayed again! I have some problems and they want to make sure I am 100% before I undergo this! The deets are I have been diagnosed with Carcinoid Syndrome which in me means I have several large tumors in my liver-that was what all the sickness was from last year. I found one of the best doctors in this specialty at Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles-turns out hes a calligrapher! Dr. Wolin has recommended I undergo a liver resection to take out the tumors. they may have been there for years. His surgery guy is Dr. Nissen and I believe I am very lucky to be in his hands. I also love that the symbol for this cancer is the Zebra-and the ribbon for this is zebra striped! I will be in the hospital for a week and recuperating for a month or two after-so the sabattical Idea was wise! These tumors are very dormant and not a spreading type-but the surgery will be major and about 8-10 hours-yikes!
Ive heard Cedars has good food though! ( not that I'll be able to eat it for awhile!)
I thank you for all the good wishes and prayers and cards and letters-I know I am loved and I love you all too. I have so so many blessings. I will try to update this blog at the hospital-no promises-but for sure my son will post on my Facebook page!

Oh Oh-and grand news-I was just photographed for the LA Weekly magazine with Jose Martinez ( Steam) at Homeland about the graffitti /calligraphy program we are starting up-I have NO IDEA when this will be coming out-I hope to be able to pass this on to you-but just in case-keep your eyes peeled!

5 comments:

Martha Lever said...

Lisa, I will be praying for you that all goes well. Looks like you are in good "hands" with a calligrapher doctor! That means he pays attention to detail! That's what we want with a surgeon! Again, thank you for that wonderful bookplate you sent. I have pasted it into the book along with the envelope.
oxoxox

Unknown said...

Lisa, love and best wishes for an uneventful surgery and recovery! I have such fond memories of the Kaligrafos retreat in October. You are a wonderful teacher and I learned so much. I have been gathering supplies, reading Mark Making, and thinking about my book of intentions; it is just about ready to pop out of me onto the fabric! I will be thinking good thoughts of you while I work.

Christine said...

Lisa,

Will someone be able to post how you are doing?....or you may just surprise us. I'll be thinking and praying and hope that all goes well with the surgery.

Christine in Neotsu, OR

Rochelle said...

Lisa, I hope all goes well and you have a speedy recovery.

Marjorie said...

Lisa, I'm glad I was somehow led to your blog! I have very fond memories of classes with you (at Lemont, IL at Alice's and Jim Chin's gallery for one) All the best in your surgery and just keep smiling and think only good thoughts. That helped me through surgery five years ago! Your angels will watch over you! Marge Boyd from Chicago